Research and development
The Institute of Biotechnology and Antibiotics (IBA) has been BIOTON S.A.'s main research division ever since the Company commenced operations. IBA is Poland’s leading research institute and employs highly qualified and experienced specialists. IBA has been researching drug production by chemical synthesis and biosynthesis using genetically modified organisms for over 50 years. BIOTON and IBA conduct research in biotechnological products and new forms of pharmaceutical products and carry out research programs in the following areas:
- Genetic engineering: these programs focus on the search for new plasmids in wild-type bacterial strains, plasmid isolation, creation of sequence regions for gene cloning and building new expression vectors based on the isolated plasmids. The aim is to develop a methodology for creating effective, stable, genetically modified microorganisms which can be used in the industrial production of therapeutic protein substances.
- Biotechnology: this program investigates the isolation and modification of biological proteins so as to select the optimal methodology for processing recombinant proteins.
- Pharmacology: research is conducted into the resistance mechanisms of bacterial strains to therapeutic antibiotics, analyses of synthesis methods and the properties of new derivatives of anthracycline antibiotics, and the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of medicinal substances for the purpose of developing new medicinal products and new research methods to assess them.
The remaining members of the BIOTON Group also carry out research and development activities.
BioPartners – strategic partnerships, close collaboration with scientific experts and access to state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities make it possible to develop innovative products. Biopartners’ R&D partners include:
- LG Life Science - a South-Korean biotechnology company with a state-of-the-art R&D facility that has been engaged in biopharmaceuticals development since 1982
- Rentschler Biotechnologie - a German company which specialises in the development and manufacture of biopharmaceuticals, including interferons, and contract manufacture of drugs in various pharmaceutical forms.
Fisiopharma S.R.L. – Fisiopharma works with Italian universities and other pharmaceutical companies on research and development projects designed to stimulate innovation and improve the manufacturing technologies of active pharmaceutical ingredients and finished forms of generic pharmaceuticals.
Medipolis GMP-Oulu – Medipolis GMP is a company specialising in Good Manufacturing Practice production for microbiogical fermentation and in producing and developing products for biotechnological companies. The company focuses on the small-scale manufacture of active pharmaceutical ingredients (API) for clinical and toxicological purposes (these include therapeutic proteins, enzymes, therapeutic injections and DNA plasmids). The company meets FDA and EMEA requirements for biopharmaceutical production and is the ideal production plant for manufacturing biotechnological products for clinical research required as part of EMEA and FDA registration processes.